Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Ohhh the Holidays

With the holidays vastly approaching in just a few days I'm feeling the temptations starting to set in. The smell of turkey, mash potatoes and gravy, the cranberries and don't forget that delicious pumpkin pie. Not to mention, there's always another holiday feast following a few weeks later.

I'll admit I'm a sucker for the pumpkin pie, and the cranberries and well...EVERYTHING. There's days where I feel I'd make a good food critic because I love food that much. I'm not one for cooking much, although I am learning after becoming more and more involved with being in the fitness industry and learning you have no choice but to cook when you're trying to be fit and healthy.

It's always difficult for me not to want to sneak a taste here and there while my mom cooks away in the kitchen. I have a hard time not going for third or fourth helpings during the holidays. I say third and fourth helpings because lets face it, you HAVE to go for seconds.

The ongoing question sets in....how do I stay in shape with all of those goodies in my reach? Answer? All in moderation.

It's okay to splurge on the holidays, but make sure you take a regular proportion. If you want to go for that second piece of pie, no need to feel guilty. Just hit the gym for an extra ten minutes. You can keep the pounds off, just stick to your regular workout routine. Put in a few additional repetitions when you're working on your abs or an extra 5 minutes of cardio. Drink plenty of water and just add a few extra minutes to your workout if you feel you need to work off a few additional calories. We all know that pumpkin pie is calling your name repeatedly and we all know you'll be giving in a little later. :) I do.

Enjoy the holiday season and don't let the guilt set in. Stick to your regular workout routine and you'll be fine. Don't use the holidays as an excuse for the reason not to keep up with your workouts, but don't deprive yourself either. Just remember, it's all in MODERATION :)

Have a great start to the holidays everyone!

"An optimist is a person who starts a new diet on Thanksgiving Day." Irv Kupcine

No comments:

Post a Comment