Thursday, April 21, 2011

Female Empowerment

A friend of mine and I were talking about role models and people we looked up to. We talked about school and history in particular. We talked about the different time eras that we learned about and what our favorite part of history was. Personally, I was never a big fan of history class, but what I did love learning about were people that had a voice. People that stood up for their rights or chose to make a statement such as Ghandi.

I told my friend that learning about Black History month was one of my favorite eras to learn about because "people of color" created a voice for themselves. There were several people during that time that made history by using their voice and the woman that always caught my attention the most was Rosa Parks.

She stood up for her rights and sat at the front of the bus. Not only did she make a statement for "people of color" at that time, but she also created opportunities for women. She showed the world that not only should everyone be treated equal, but that women are meant to be treated the same as men. She didn't take no for an answer. She changed history and made her mark without even realizing how much of an impact she made right then.

Where are these role models today? Who do younger generations have to look up to? It seems like finding positive role models is becoming harder and harder to find. Instead of hearing positive feedback in the media or what celebrities are helping create a voice and supporting charities, we hear constant negative headlines about which celebrity is in court this week. It seems like positive influences get overshadowed by the negative.

I will honestly say that I admire those in the media who have a voice and take the time to help others. I admire those who stand up for something they believe in and support a cause. I will say that a positive role model that I've come to admire is Selena Gomez. I truly think she is using her voice in a positive light and I look up to her as well.

My point to this blog is we need more positive influences. I'm grateful to have the opportunity to be a woman and live in the 21st century. I'm grateful to Rosa Parks for making an impact and changing history. Female empowerment is amazing.

No comments:

Post a Comment