Thursday, May 13, 2010

Success Tips: Nutrition for Your Eyes

Staying healthy goes beyond having a steady workout regimen, the kitchen is an important step to maintaining a healthy body. When you're cooking and preparing a meal, do you ever think about the nutritional value you're not only giving your body, but to your eyes as well?

How many of you think about getting routine eye exams at least every two years? I'm guessing not many. Working for an eye doctor as my regular day job, I'm learning more about eyes that I've ever wanted to know or thought I would know. One of my friends posted a blog today about foods that are healthy for your eyes and I thought the information was interesting and I did a little research and digging myself. Here are some healthy foods to help keep your eyes healthy:

1. Spinach - it's filled with carotenoids (red, yellow, and orange fat soluble pigments found in many plants that are powerful antioxidants and related to Vitamin A) which help boost your vision, who knew!

2. Fish - By eating just 1 serving a week, helps reduce the inflammation of blood vessels in your eyes.

3. Eggs - Yolk contains lutein that is also a carotenoid.

4. Sardines (Yuck!...it's because they have 3 different types of omega fats).

5. Nuts - By eating 1 to 2 servings of nuts per week this helps reduce the risk of age-related macular degeneration (AMD) which is the leading cause of blindness by people over the age of 60 by up to 35%.

Pretty cool right? So now after reading these tips how many of your are going to step up your game and eat these foods a little more often to keep your eyes healthy?

"The eyes are the mirror to the soul." – Unknown

www.twitter.com/s_laursen

Facts provided by www.womensday.com

No comments:

Post a Comment