Thursday, October 8, 2009

Becoming Fit, Active and Healthy

I used to not worry about what I ate. I grew up always having a fast metabolism and still do. (Yes mom I know that will end once I have kids or hit 30 :D). However college hit and I didn't pay as close attention because I was used to being able to burn off what I ate without a problem, but with the late night studying, cram sessions, essays and a million exams to take, the gym was the last thing on my mind. My roommate and I tried to start working out at our university gym late at night, but we were both exhausted after studying, we wanted to do nothing but sleep.

It wasn't until the spring of '06 with my freshman year coming to a close that I chose to look back over all of the pictures we had taken over those LONG two semesters. I wasn't happy with how I looked. I didn't realize that I had gained the "freshman 15," as it's called. I started getting into modeling that summer and saw the end results after shoots. I was happy with my body and didn't think too much of it. I had worked out enough to gain back the figure I was used to and was comfortable with.

I competed in a swimwear competition in Mexico in the summer of 2007 and saw girls of all shapes and sizes competing. I admired the girls that had more full figured bodies and had extra meat on their bones. They were proud of their bodies and who they were and I thought it was awesome. Especially when they were competing against other girls that were extremely petite. I was amazed at their confidence levels, it was great to see.

In fall 2007 I started following the career of fitness model sensation Amber Elizabeth. I watched her have an amazing portfolio and receive the tools she needed, and sky rocket within a year. She's managed to snag the cover of Oxygen Magazine twice already! She gave me the inspiration I needed when I first started following her career to realize that I wanted to project that type of positive body image.

When I first started modeling, I started taking the "sexy" images most girls have. Pulling on their bikini's, showing more skin etc. I felt like my portfolio was blending in. So when I saw Amber Elizabeth and how wholesome and true to herself she was, I realized I could do the same.

Now I'm heading to Fitness Model International, the networking event of a lifetime in less than two weeks! I'm receiving the opportunity to network with the VERY same people that helped Amber Elizabeth make her career and I'm hoping to be able to come out of this conference with more knowledge and contacts than I know what to do with.

In the mean time I'm working out, trying to eat right, and staying healthy and happy. I'm looking at each day with as a new chance for success and looking forward to my upcoming opportunity!

"To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funny bone." - Reba McEntire

No comments:

Post a Comment